Eagle Project, Baseball, Swimming and Flag Ceremonies, Oh My!
What a great campout this past weekend! We canoed from the Gates of the Mountains boat launch to the Coulter campground, set up camp, hiked to the Meriwether Day Use Area and performed a trail conservation/service project, clearing downed logs from the trail between Coulter and Meriwether. In addition, we trained on being “Bear Aware” and practiced using bear spray and setting up bear bags.
Scouts that joined us last weekend completed two hours of service projects, completed the Camping Merit Badge requirement to perform a conservation project, completed some Canoeing Merit Badge requirements AND completed the Cooking merit badge requirements about trail food and lightweight stoves. All of that in a beautiful setting! We need to schedule more events like this.
We have a fun June schedule planned. Please mark your calendars and plan for the following upcoming events:
* This coming Saturday, June 18 at 10am is the Eagle Project for Wyatt Tanner at the Great Falls Hebrew Cemetery (81 Highland Road, just South of Great Falls). Wyatt will be rebuilding the South side fence at the cemetery, and needs your help to complete this project! The work will entail pounding posts and rebending wire. You need to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants, as well as boots for this project for safety reasons. Please also bring water bottle, gloves, a hat and sunscreen. Wyatt will be providing Pizza and drink for everyone working. Please help Wyatt achieve Eagle and help him with this project (and earn needed service hours)!!
* On Monday, June 20, we will be playing softball at the Black Eagle Park baseball diamond, beginning at 7pm. We do not have any gear or equipment, so please bring what you have. We have invited Pack 26 to join us for this evening. We will also be awarding best camper from the canoe campout during this meeting.
* On Wednesday, June 22, we have been asked to lead the Flag Ceremony for the Great Falls Municipal Band in Gibson Park. Please arrive in your Class A uniform at 7pm. In previous years when we have done this ceremony, we have had an ice cream social for the Troop during the concert. Please join us!
* On Saturday, June 25 we will be assisting the Black Eagle Fire Department and the Red Cross install smoke alarms in the homes of Black Eagle residents. Please watch your email on more details regarding this opportunity to help the residents of Black Eagle. This opportunity will count for needed service hours, including the community service requirement of Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge.
* On Monday, June 27, we have rented the Water Tower neighborhood Pool from 6-8pm. We have invited Scouts from all around Great Falls to join us (and help cover the pool rental). Please join us for an evening of wet and wild fun!
* On Monday, July 4 we will be marching in the Black Eagle Independence Day Parade. We will be marching one of the “big flags” from Flag Hill down the main street in Black Eagle. We need lots of Scouts and Parents to help us march this flag! Please make a point to arrive in your full Class A Field Uniform by 10:30am so that we can organize our efforts. More emails with details on this opportunity will be coming soon.
Scouting just becomes more fun in the Summertime! Remember, if you can’t make a meeting or event, please make a point to call your Patrol Leader or SPL to let them know you will be absent.
Yours in Good Scouting,
Scoutmaster, Troop 1026, Great Falls, MT
Boy Scouts of America
I used to be a Fox, and a good ole Fox too! W5-315-11-1